Happy New Year!!!
Can you believe it's 2009. It seems like just yesterday that we were all stockpiling water and food, digging out the camp stove and preparing for a return to caveman days with the change in the millenium. Oh... the good ole days!!
2009 has started of well for me. At the stroke of midnight on January 1 I was cozy and warm in my mother's living room. I was home for 2 weeks in Colorado to be with family and friends and get some R and R. There was not much rest and relaxation in my trip but I did have one heck of a good time.
I arrived in Denver on Saturday the 20th of December just 15 minutes before the Continental jet skidded off the runway and broke into flames. The news today said they believe part of the problem was wind gusts which were causing a dangerous cross wind. Let's hear it for competent Lufthansa pilots!!! I went straight from the airport to a Christmas party hosted by dear friends and visited with lots of friends and sang Karaoke until I hit the jet lag wall about 10:00 and begged to be taken home. I was having a great time but those of you who have done the overseas flight thing understand. After 24 hours of travel with little or no sleep, there comes a point where the brain just says, "that's it, you're done"! You have no choice but to abide.
The next few days were spent in Denver attending my favorite drag show, visiting friends and making the rounds at my dentist, eye doctor and massage therapist. Then it was off to Boulder for hair rescue from the hairstylist extraordinaire, my sister Dee. I got a much needed cut, color and pampering. It's good to be the princess!
Soon, it was Christmas and we were all at mom's house for the traditional food, games and fun that is a part of a Grandma's Christmas. It was so good to see my niece and nephew. I miss them so much. My sisters, brother in law and nieces boyfriend also spoiled me rottten and made it a fabulous Christmas.
I'm not sure where the rest of my two week trip went but I spent time with old friends, dancing till dawn and spending lots and lots of money. I even had to buy an additional suitcase for all the new clothes I bought while I was home. The fashion here doesn't quite work on a real world size body so I opt for the fashions of home. Way better options for me.
I am so, so blessed to have a family of friends around me who love and support me no matter how far away from home I am and whether or not I get much time to spend with them. Antonio and Jorge were great hosts and pampered me for both weekends and helped me party like a rock star at clubs and parties. Kathy and I had lunch and were able to catch up on all the happenings of my old district and catch up on each other's lives. Linda and Laurie made a point of including me in their new year's celebration. LJ and Chadwick threw a great Christmas party and were kind enough to schedule it around my arrival in Denver so that I could take part. There were so many others that I wanted desperately to see but with the holidays and appointments and wanting to spend time with family, it just couldn't all happen. I am happy and sure that even though I didn't get to see everyone that when I return in the summer they will be waiting with open arms and hearts to welcome me back into the fold.
My family all continue to be a source of strength and enjoyment for me. Dee and Dale have a beautiful home and seem truly happy together and ... have tickets to come and visit me in Vienna in April. Shely continues to look after the stray souls in the world and warms my heart with love and pride everytime I see her. She has the biggest heart and freely shares it with everyone. Shawn is still in school at Metro and is working at two restaurants to help put herself through school. Not at easy task in these economic times. Brandon is now a manager at Lodo's in Westminster and continues to make me smile everytime I talk to him. He is happy, healthy and handsome. I am so proud of him and the life he has made for himself. Then there's mom. What can I say, mentor extraordinaire. This woman is a tough act to follow. She continues to work, travel, serve and play like a youngster. She never stops and has so much fun in life. She is truly an inspiration. I am always in awe and so honored to be her daughter.
The year ahead promises new and exciting adventures for me. For my ski week vacation in February I am planning a trip to Iceland to see the Northern Lights. A friend and I are in the planning stages of that trip and I just can't wait. I've been told that because of global warming the intensity of the Northern Lights has reduced and that if I want to see them at their best I'd better get going. So, pull out the down coat, thermal underwear and heavy snow boots, I'm on my way. In April, another friend and I are looking at going to either to the island of Mauritious off of the east coast of Africa or to Egypt. It will depend on our financial status at the time. A trip to Egypt from here is like going to Cancun from Denver. It's the cheapest warm vacation you can get. Mauritious, on the other hand, is like going to the French Riviera and requires some major financial committment. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. I change my vacation plans more often than most people change their underwear so who knows how it will turn out. In June I may try to go to Montenegro (the former Yugoslavia) and Croatia for a little time on the beach right after school is out. I am then looking at spending some time in Vienna and then heading for several weeks to Colorado for that R and R I was looking for at Christmas.
Being home was fabulous and I had a wonderful time. I miss all of you tremendously and I also discovered something nice. I love Vienna just as much. I still know that I made the right decision in coming here. I love my life and friends here, and I still have some things I want to do, see and accomplish before I'm ready to move back. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that I can be happy and at home no matter where I choose to live. It's also incredibly good to know that I have people who care about me in both places. Thank you to all of you.
Well, it's time to go crank up the furnace and settle in for the night. My apartment is very old and has very high ceilings all making for equally high heating costs. I have learned that layers, blankets and hot beverages are really good during a Vienna winter. Now that the Christmas season is over and the hot spiced wine stands are gone that eliminates one option for keeping warm. I am on a quest, however, to find a suitable replacement. The current frontrunner is hot apple cider with cinnamon schnaaps. Try it, you'll like it. It's like eating a grown-up candy apple but easier on the teeth.
Love and best wishes to you all for the new year. May you be happy, healthy and surrounded by love. I know I am.
Jodie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment