Happy Herbst from Wien!
Welcome to my first ever attempt at joining the techno-age. A friend suggested I try this blog thing and that way I could post pictures and everything. So, here goes. Let's give it a try.
Where does the time go? It is already October 7 and we have been in school for 7 weeks! One and a half more weeks and I get a week's vacation. This break from school brings yet another amazing travel adventure for me. This time the destination is Crete, and island of Greece.
On Friday, October 17 my mom arrives for her second visit to Vienna. We then leave on Sunday for the beautiful island of Crete. It has long been one of my dreams to visit Greece. To go there with my mom and to stay at the beach and relax and island hop is much more than I could have ever hoped for. Next month you'll have to endure the photos and stories from there.
It's been a busy month since I last wrote. It's hard work having a birthday and getting another year older!!! Actually, it was a ton of fun. The custom here is that if you want to celebrate your birthday, you throw the party yourself. So, I planned my traditional end of summer, birthday barbeque. I had friends who have a grill help me grill burgers and sausages, I made good, old fashioned American potato salad, baked beans and green salad, I even got yellow American mustard (not easy) and American hamburger and hot dog buns (also not easy). My international collection of friends were delighted. The question did, however, come up... How do Americans manage to get sooooo.... many calories into everything they eat? Makes one stop and wonder doesn't it? Especially when the question comes from people who's main source of energy is fried wienerschnitzel, bread dumplings and sausage. Oh well, it was all in good fun. My friend Holly made this amazing chocolate cake and we ate and drank ourselves silly. It was just what I wanted. About 15 of my best friends from Vienna came to help me celebrate.
At the beginning of the month of September, my friends Holly and Craig and I all boarded a plane for Brussels, Belgium for a world famous Belgian Beer Festival. Apparently the Belgians are considered to have the very best beer in the world. In my expert opinion they are right. There was a huge tent set up in the central plaza of the city with about 25 different breweries set up selling their best brews. Between them all there were about 450 different beers available. I, myself, managed to try about 30 of them in the course of a day and a half. Not bad for a beginner. I made an amazing discovery about my taste in beer while I was there. My favorite beers are the ones that don't taste like beer. Go figure!!! I had raspberry, lemon, chocolate, chile, wheat beers but my all time two favorites were coconut beer, which tasted just like Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion smells and a rum/beer combination that was fabulous. Needless to say, I had a good time. There was music, fun and interesting people at all levels of intoxication and a great weekend with my friends. It is now one of my favorite memories of my time here.
My kids at school continue to be my daily injection of joy. They never cease to make me smile. Whenever the hassles of being a teacher and working in a school that, like everywhere else, has it's issues, gets me down, one of the kids comes along and does or says something that makes me laugh (or cry) and reminds me why I'm really there. One of my little Austrian students has taken it upon himself to be my private German tutor. He's one of the squirreliest, goofiest, orneriest kids you'll ever want to meet but when he starts teaching me German he becomes Henry Higgens and is bound and determined to turn Eliza Doolittle into a proper Austrian speaker. (If you're not sure what I'm talking about go rent My Fair Lady, you'll love it.) Today, after my brief lesson on reading and nouns and their articles he gave me the highest grade he's given me so far. I got a B+ and a note saying that I was improving. High praise from this little task master. Gotta love it.
It has been an absolute hoot to be abroad during this whole election season. Getting all the news about 12 hours after it happens and watching the European reaction to Palin and the bickering between the candidates is a real experience. The Austrians just shake their heads and say "Only the Americans". By contrast, the Austrians have a system whereby about a month ago the ruling party Chancellor of Austria ruled that the parliament wasn't doing a good job so he ended the terms of all the representatives, called for a new election, the election was held three weeks later and now, as of last week, there is a new bunch of representatives in place. Technically, they aren't really new. Most of them were the incumbents but nonetheless they are a newly formed group. There are officially 7 parties that were on the ballot. Two that are the front runners, about 3 that are significant and 2 that never had a chance. The way it works here is that if you get at least 5% of the vote you get representation in parliament equal to your percentage of the vote. So, the two big parties of course control everything, but even the little guys get some say. Quite interesting. They know they have problems with their system too but it's fun to watch. I just can't wait till our election is all behind us and we can get back to other aspects of life.
My German lessons continue and I am happy to report that I can now talk about the past. Up until about 3 weeks ago, if it wasn't happening right now I couldn't talk about it. I am so proud now to be able to go to an Austrian party and tell someone I ate lunch yesterday. It's quite a thrill!!!! Those of you who have ever tried to learn a second, or third, language will understand what I mean. My friend Michael has offered to provide my lesson in German profanity. He and I both feel that it's time. I think I can now learn them without fear that I'll get confused and tell someone something I shouldn't. Could be interesting.
I am really lucky this year that my mom has decided to stay an extra week after our vacation to Greece to relax and enjoy Vienna with me. I have to go back to school but she will fend for herself during the day and then in the evenings we have plans to go to the opera, take long walks, enjoy the sights and one night have a little gathering so all my friends can meet her. I am so lucky to have her. She's the best!
One of the fun things we will be doing while she is here is participating in the school Halloween festivities. The PTA puts on a great big party in the gym with games and food and fun. Right before it starts you can sign up for a place in the parking lot and they have what they call "Trunk or Treat". Since the Austrians don't do Halloween and probably wouldn't appreciate a bunch of strange kids in costumes harrassing them by ringing the doorbell, you park your car in the parking lot, decorate the trunk and then the kids come around to the trunks and say "Trick or Treat" and you hand out candy. It's a real kick in the behind. It's one of the biggest functions of the year. Afterwards, everyone goes to the gym and plays and dances and has a good time. I'll take pictures so that you can seem them next month.
Well, I guess I've blogged long enough for this month. I hope you are all happy and well and that life continues to bring you the best and many, many fall blessings. May your days be filled with sunshine, your lives with color and your hearts with warmth.
Auf Wiedersehen,
Jodie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment